Saturday, September 15, 2012

English Class Hard Workers

My first three weeks teaching have been an amazing adventure. Every day I learn something new about how teaching is different here than in America and my student always make me laugh. Friday my student came in and the first thing he said was, "I love you" with his arms in a heart over his head.

I have finally finished with my introduction lesson and I am getting into the curriculum with the students. The textbooks are really boring so I am trying to find ways to make it more interesting. Like making my own videos... Yes they are embarrassing but I think that's why my students enjoyed it. This week I will try and show an animated video I made for free online. It didn't take that long and I think the extra effort will pay off in class. I have also been taking video of my students during my lessons so here are my 4 th graders hard at work! They all got English tickets for doing this, I am not above bribing my students ;)


My 6th graders video will be coming later.

All of my advanced lesson plans for the year are due Friday so that takes precedence. I have 3rd and 4th done, most of 5th and now I have to do 6th grade lesson plans. It's coming along :)

I have also been trying to get involved in things outside of teaching. So last Wednesday I played volleyball with the teachers after school. It was really fun but I am not sure how often they play because we didn't play this week. So I will also be joining a gym soon... Blah. I don't really like gyms, but it is preferable to people staring at me if I run on the street. Koreans don't rally do that and I am obviously American so there isn't any way to blend in. I have been going to a church with an English service and bible study for the past two weeks. It isn't like church at home but I think that bible study is really going to help me grow spiritually during my grant year.

Friday night my host family and i went to jincheon to see my host sister preform in a traditional Korean music concert. It was really cool but I left my phone at home so no pictures :(

Today I went to the cheongju national museum with my host parents and then went to my co teacher's son's first birthday party. First birthdays are really big in Korea. The parents and child wore traditional Korean clothes which were really beautiful. I told my other co teacher that I would love too buy a dress but when she told me it was the equivalent of $200, I changes my mind haha.

Anyway, things have been going really well here in Korea! That's all for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment